This Straight, No Chaser asks a straightforward question: Where’s the PPE for the public? Much has been made of the need to care for our first responders. I get that. I’m one of those, and I thank you for your support and encouragement. I am also concerned about first exposed. As data rolls in, we see healthcare disparities exist in certain communities and among certain socioeconomic classes. At this point, there hasn’t been much of anything said about getting personal protective equipment (PPE) into the hands of these individuals and the public in general. As many are preparing to reenter the workplace – or even if you aren’t – you are much better off with some basic supplies, which my team has arranged to be available for you.
PPE for the Public
These include the following:
- We’ve been offering 3-layer protective surgical masks for a few weeks now and continue to do so.
- We’re now offering gloves because COVID-19 can be transmitted from surfaces to your hands. From there it can get within you through contact with your eyes, nostrils and mouth. Using gloves reduces the risk of this happening. Please use the gloves episodically instead of all day, lest you’re just transmitting germs the same as you would with your hands.
- We’re offering two sizes of hand sanitizer: a 4 oz version with aloe vera and a 3.3. oz version without. Both exceed the 70% alcohol content necessary to be effective against COVID-19.
- We’re also offering disinfectant wipes for you to clean your surfaces.
- Finally, we’re providing no-touch digital thermometers. These should be a part of your daily routine as a screening device.